Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hurricane Ike

OK so I am sitting here in an Emergency Shelter being provided on SHSU campus for 49 students and 5 staff from University of Houston Clear Lake campus. I will just have to say that being here and seeing everything unfolding it has rather been a humbling experience. Not so much by the hurricane in general but that is nothing to sneeze at at all, but just the fact that the vast majority of these students have NEVER seen a hurricane or know what one is. These students are mostly from India and other foreign exchange students. WOW! It has been really interesting to sit and listen and watch them interact with each other.

Although I will have to say that Huntsville, as far as I can see at this point, is not every far at all.....has held up quite well. All I know is that we have power and everyone has been in rather good spirits about it all. Had a few stressed out people and nerves but other than that nothing really all that major.

I am seriously ready for this to be over and so that life can get back to "normal"! Whatever that means...

Off to take care of everyone!

Elke

No comments: